Friday, September 30, 2005

Out of the Frying Pan

30 September 2005, 8:28 AM

I have jumped into the fire
again, although this time,
thank God, it was not lit.

I am never content
in the cast iron skillet- I’ll learn
someday that who I am is not
dependent upon another’s
wanting me, needing me,

though in some ways it is.

We find ourselves in the eyes
of others. They find themselves
in us. We are made for this
interdependence.

And it occurs to me: Perhaps
it is all too natural to seek the fire.

The very wise learn to hold the skillet,
to use the fire, to respect both as
tools of the trade of humanity,

and not purveyors of it.

No comments:

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits