Tuesday, September 27, 2005

My Brain

September 23, 2005
5:22 PM

Every now and again, my brain gets
turned upside-down; all the books
on all the shelves return to chaos.

Ledgers,

these bits and pieces of thought
and imagination, keeping track of all
I might lose otherwise.

Thank God they’re in books, bound
at the spine, not loose-leaf, free
floating on the wind of my subconscious.

This way,
even when my world is shaken, and the
books fall to the floor, I know that
this and this and this will still be found

together,

in some semblance of order. I have only
to pick up the books, flatten their pages,
alphabetize (or numericize, whichever
suites my fancy this particular go-round)
and replace them on the appropriate shelf.

My brain is such a wonder;
such a pain. I am getting better at
this, though, with every
chaos-inducing crisis that comes to call.

No comments:

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits