Monday, September 08, 2008

Texans in Kentucky

I was dropping some stuff off at the Goodwill donation center down the road when an African American man in a cowboy hat walked up with some things. Being the Texan that I am, I had to comment, so I said, "Nice hat. I'm a Texan. I love to see folks in cowboy hats." I immediately felt stupid once the words were out of my mouth. It's not as if Texas has a corner on the cowboy hat market. But the man flashed a proud smile and said, "I'm from Texas too. I'm a retired State Trooper." *Very* cool! I said, "NO WAY!" And he said, "I AM SO!" and proceeded to pull out his wallet, which held the proof of his prior employment with the Texas State Troopers. What a cool interaction. As we were leaving, he said, "I surely do miss Texas. Yes ma'am, I do."

1 comment:

That Girl said...

i LOVE cowboy hats!! I am from india and we are planning to go back for Christmas. ALL the guys in my family want cowboy hats!! wouldnt it look funny to see a bunch of Indians wearing cowboy hats!?!?!!

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits