Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Unholy Comfort

16 May 2006, 12:25 AM

It’s tempting
I can see why the alcoholics
sexaholics do what they do

because I do it too

I don’t drink excessively
though I’m tempted to dull the pain
now and again
and it does dull the pain
momentarily

I don’t compulsively seek men
to warm the parts that feel so cold
when I’m alone
though I imagine they could satisfy
for a time

Once in a while
more often than not, if I’m honest
I eat for comfort
and it’s no more holy a habit
than fucking for the same reason
or drinking oneself into oblivion
on a daily basis in order to avoid
the pain

We all do it
It’s just a matter of how and what
and when and why
and who we dehumanize
in the process

No comments:

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits