Thursday, July 14, 2011

Vintage Sewing Machine Table




I bought a very old, wood sewing machine table at Goodwill yesterday for $7.50. Can you believe that? I must conclude that someone didn't know what they had, because this is a very nice piece of furniture, and perfect working order.


My only difficulty was that I lacked the mounting screws that originally came with my sewing machine. There was no finding them--this machine is OLD, and the screws are long gone. I searched and searched for information about what sort of screw is required, and found no information. I finally found a set of screws at the local sewing machine repair shop. It was a bit of a long shot, since the owner just happened to have a sewing machine cabinet in the store at the time that had a vintage sewing machine attached to it, and he was willing to give me the screws because he was planning to scrap the sewing machine.

I did what I could to try to identify the size of the screws, because this is information I would have found useful this morning. As far as I can tell, the screw is a 7/8-1/2x28 fillister head machine screw. I have no idea what it's made of, but it's got to be strong to hold my steel sewing machine in place.

I'm awfully pleased to have it all together and working. Now, what project to work on...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Could you possibly take a picture from the bottom of this sewing table with the sewing machine recessed into the table (in storage mode). I have an old 1967 Singer and my aunt just gave me an old Singer sewing table.

The machine fits perfectly but it doesn't seem like the machine has much support holding it up in storage mode so I'm curious as to how your table is holding your machine in place to see if I'm missing a piece to my table.

Do you understand what I'm asking? It's kind of hard to explain. I just need to see the underneath of your table when the sewing machine is tucked away for storage.

Maria said...

Sure, I'll post a picture. These old sewing machines are so heavy. It does kind of make me nervous, having so little holding it up. But the hardware is steel, and the table was designed to hold it up, so I've decided I trust it. :-)

Maria said...

By the way--the only thing holding the sewing machine is place is two hinges with pieces that fit into holes in the machine. Then there's a screw that goes through a hole in both pieces and holds them in place. There are also two legs on the bottom of the machine that rest against the back of the sewing table when it's being stored. I'll go take a picture so you can see.

Maria said...

Altaira--I posted several pictures in a new blogpost at http://practicingsanity.blogspot.com/2012/10/sewing-table-part-ii.html. Let me know if the post answers your question.

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits