Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Day After

6 July 2006, 12:23 PM

I realize now and again
life isn't what I think it is.
It isn't all that bad (now).
It isn't all that good (yet).
It's altogether livable,
even enjoyable if I let it be today,
and if it is not tomorrow, it will be
the day after.

I can see now and again
the moments of annihilation
will pass if I don't hold them
too tightly. I close my eyes,
understanding the darkness
will be gone when I open them
again. I weep now, knowing
tomorrow my eyes will be dry,
red, but dry. And if they aren't
tomorrow, they will be
the day after.

Few things are permanent,
fewer still are certain
in any sense of the word.
I know at least this emptiness
is bound to find its fill.
If it does not tomorrow, it will
the day after.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your website this morning through someone else' blog. I have really enjoyed reading through your poetry. I keep the poem that you gave me in a very special place, but I have a hard time reading it because it makes me weep every time. Thank you for sharing it with me.
I will definitely be back to read more soon. Now I must go tend to my little man...

Maria said...

So glad you found it, and that you're enjoying it. That poem makes me weep also. I had forgotten a lot of the details, and then I smelled that soap on my hands, and it all came back to me. Have been tempted to go back to the NICU with a container to ask them for some, so I won't forget again.

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits