Wednesday, April 29, 2009

BAHA

I am *very* pleased to announce that my husband got his Bone Anchored Hearing Apparatus, a.k.a. BAHA, today. It's simply amazing to me the technology available to the general public, and today, to the hearing impaired in particular.

I drove us home from the hospital, because now that he has the BAHA, he can hear me when I sit on his left side. We conversed all the way home, which is something we've never been able to do unless he was driving. We passed two emergency vehicles on the way home, and he immediately knew (with his newly gained stereo-hearing) from which direction they were approaching.

I can't express how pleased I am for my husband, because while those small new experiences today are a big deal, they're only the beginning of a new level interaction for him. Maybe he'll never have to pretend again that he caught the whole conversation when we're in a room full of people and someone is talking to him from the left. Maybe he will no longer feel compelled to avoid situations where he won't be able to hear adequately. I'm so excited and pleased for him.

No comments:

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits