Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Memory of Eden


Inspired by Sting's Desert Rose (read an English translation of the Arabic portions of the lyrics here) and my recent devouring of the Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Have been listening to this song repeatedly as I paint, and in it I hear a lamentation of what was lost in the Fall, and also a search for some shadow of that intimacy in romantic love. His metaphors are poignant, the imagery dances in the mind as he sings--an unmistakably masculine expression of something beautiful and tragic.

One of my favorite images in the song is that of his visions of Paradise being "tied to a horse that will never tire." They are moving swiftly--and ever away from him. The search has no end. But the thing-searched-for is so alluring and provocative that he cannot cease to search.

I have too much time on my hands...

No comments:

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits