Monday, July 02, 2007

Wave

2 July 2007, 11 PM

The wave mounts up on wings
like an eagle eyeing its prey,

and I wait.

I see it, like the helpless
victim that I am, unable to escape.
Precious little difference
between me and the rodent:
I am aware of my hopeless state,
and of the fact that my state
is not actually hopeless.

I know I can't escape,
yet if I could, I would not. I know
the wave, unlike the predator,
is as merciful as it is relentless-
that the object of my fear bears

in its wake the remedy

of my fears. I am aware, more than most,
of pain, and of necessity. I will receive
the waves breaking upon and breaking
my very self, and in the same
I will receive my self again.

No comments:

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits