Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Fisher Boy

5 April 2006, 11:29 PM

Sweet little fisher boy
you had the time of your life today
being a boy with a man who could stand
for those moments
in the place of a father or grandfather
baiting and tricking fish
into thinking your hook was a feast

You’re such a clever little fisher boy

and I can just see that moment
when the first one bit
that moment when your joy was too much to contain
within your sweet little five-year-old frame
and I wish I could have seen your face
Though I’ll never take a father’s place
I wanted to be there

The best I could do was give you the moment
arrange for the circumstance
where you’d find a new voice
a smile too big for your five-year-old cheeks
and soppy wet tennis shoes
you’ll never wear to school again

Sweet little five-year-old fisher boy
mommy loves you more than you can know
as I kiss your sweet, unconscious brow
and you drift off to sleep and dream
of your day in five-year-old fisher boy Paradise

1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

you've captured the moment really well here

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits