Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Everything is Wonderful

Having divorced several years ago and remarried last July, I've thought a lot about what kids go through when their parents split. I didn't go through it as a child, but I have two sisters who are divorced, and between the three of us, we have eight kids...eight?... yeah, eight, who are all now living in broken homes. It makes me sad to think of it, and I wonder what they'll have to say to us someday when they get older. I wonder if our divorces make it necessarily more likely that they will someday experience a divorce of their own. I pray that's not the case. And I hope every day that my kids will one day be able freely to express to us their anger, their sadness, their indignation, their shame-- anything that has come as a result of the decisions we've made as their parents, the choices that have affected them so profoundly, the choices over which they had absolutely no power.

I came across this song a while ago. I think it's pretty well known, and it may have been overplayed when it first came out, but I find it's still every bit as meaningful to me as it was the first time I heard it. It reminds me that while I have found my piece of Paradise with my Beloved, it may not be so simple for our little ones, who have no choice but to spend their formative years alternately away from one or the other of their birth-parents.

No comments:

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits