Friday, May 16, 2008

Broken Glass II

A continuation and conclusion of Broken Glass.
16 May 2008, 7:45

I swept them into a dustpan,
gingerly picked them from the debris
one
by
one,
found a plethora of remnants,
despaired of binding up
the shattered
bits of broken glass.

That was years ago, and I’ve found
glass, like water, flows-
sharp edges dull, and pain becomes
less dagger-deadly. This side of eternity,
I turn irregular crystals in my fingers,
gather each and every prism
in the basin of my self, fearing less
for those which harbor yet
a razor’s edge- I am less apt to bleed,
swifter to heal,
having mended what had been so broken,
had lain unhealed for so very long.

Inspired by The Weekend Wordsmith.

7 comments:

White Rose said...

Wonderfully written, I love the way you use the description of the glass to show the change in yourself.

said...

What compliment is due good poetry? "I enjoyed it" seems especially trite when the poem itself is one rife with pain, yet that was the first phrase I typed out before the backspace key was repeatedly rapped to escape my own banality. But I did enjoy it namely because "I relate." That is my compliment; “I relate.” I was touched on a truly human level—understood the pain,,,and its memory,,,and its fading severity,,,but only because of the shear intensity of it; I am like you “less apt to bleed;” even that, though, may be a wound.

Pirate Princess said...

This is very deep and symbolic - you did an excellent job of expressing yourself, and the use of the prompt is stunning. :D

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I like the words "less dagger-deadly." Thank you.

Daisy said...

I have read this no fewer than 5 times and I just love it. As another reader suggests... "I relate". It is excellent on so many levels. Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

it is a wonderful poem.. both 1 and 2.. reminds me of a glass that broke while cleaning... painful and still have a scar to remember... for those which harbor yet a razor's edge i am less apt to bleed, swifter to heal... beautiful...

rebecca said...

"gather each and every prism in the basin of my self" - this is pure excellence. that second symbolic-filled verse is pure gold. so very well done. this was beautiful.

George MacDonald

"Home is ever so far away in the palm of your hand, and how to get there it is of no use to tell you. But you will get there; you must get there; you have to get there. Everybody who is not at home, has to go home."

Site Hits